Poll: Volume 4 - GNS3 or IOU?


So far GNS3 seems to have been working well for the first three volumes, but I feel like I should ask whether, for volume 4, a move to IOU (IOU-Web to be exact) would be preferred.

There are a couple of reasons that would make switching to IOU a good idea.

  • IOU is very popular with many studying for the CCIE
  • There would be a common platform - it would make life easier when moving between different OSes. 
  • It would also allow for a nicer experience with clickable pictures. 
  • I could use "proper" switches (though if you are running GNS3 with IOU integration, you can use IOU switch images as well). The new volume will use a couple of switches (as will version 5).
  • The IOS images used would be more recent (but again, see the point above about GNS3/IOU integration
  • IOU is closer to the actual exam environment, than GNS3 is. 

I have added a poll on the right-hand side, where you can vote for your preference.

Let me know your thoughts in the comments section below.

CCIE #49337, author of CCNA and Beyond, BGP for Cisco Networks, MPLS for Cisco Networks, VPNs and NAT for Cisco Networks.

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »

5 comments

comments
Anonymous
28 May 2015 at 01:08 delete

I choose UNetLab.
It's better.

Reply
avatar
28 May 2015 at 01:32 delete

UnetLab is an awesome bit of kit - however... IOU-Web can be easily found, and set up with minimal steps. UnetLab is a little more tricky, and I don't want the reader to have issues before they can actually get started, same for ViRL (along with the cost), I need it to be easy and free - hence GNS3 or IOU, both are easy to setup and get started with. Part of the popularity (of the books) is that they are easy to get into, and GNS3 has worked well. IOU would be a good replacement for this. There is more of a learning curve to UnetLab at the moment. Though I can see myself using this when I do the SP track (and SP book, if I get that far).

Reply
avatar
30 May 2015 at 00:37 delete

With a GNS3 book already coming up (no starch press), you might have more sales with an IOU book. I'm using GNS3 a lot and with such nice features as qemu and IOU support (or with GNS3 IOU VM) it's my favorite tool, but I'm going to buy your book anyway, no matter if it's GNS3 or IOU :-)

Reply
avatar
30 May 2015 at 00:48 delete

Thanks Bernd! I appreciate your support :)

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
31 May 2015 at 13:11 delete

like some guy wrote Unetlab is much more prefer, the new version have also clickable topology and more stable. vIOS and vIOS-L2 also worked perfect and of course IOU too.

Reply
avatar