Riddle: What has two thumbs and five digits?


You can probably guess that I got "that email" from Cisco this morning. So it's the moment of truth.

Did I pass or fail?

I woke up this morning feeling tired. One of my boys climbed into bed with me, wriggled around for a bit then made me get up to make him breakfast. The other one is still asleep, unusual for him, but we did stay out really late last night. Part of me wanted to stay in bed, after all in a Schrodinger's cat kind of way, if I don't know that I have failed, that means I have passed, right? I think that's how it works.

Nevertheless, I am still nervous about the result.

Nervous on Airplane

I was not sure whether I'd get an email from Cisco by now, mainly because it is the weekend, so I would have allowed until Monday to hear back.

They sent the email at just after 5am this morning.

CCIE results

The email itself just directs you to the CCIE webpage.
This is what greets me:

CCIE results

Clicking on the "Pass" link takes us to another page:

CCIE results

So there we go. What's got two thumbs and five digits?

This guy.

I am CCIE.

CCIE certified logo

I did it. I would like to know that actual scores, but now they are irrelevant.

I have the digits. Mission accomplished.

It's time to celebrate today. I can rest, I can enjoy time with my family again. I can spend my holiday (at the end of the month) relaxing and enjoying. This will be nice as I am sure my family would prefer me not to be studying for the fourth year in a row when we are on holiday.

I feel so relieved now. I have got some friends coming over later for a BBQ, so it's time to kick back and relax.

Once again I'd like to thank all of you who have encouraged me along this journey. It's not over yet, but I have reached a massive milestone.

So thank you guys for the support. I have the digits, and don't feel like I have let you guys down, as well as myself.

Time to go outside and smell the roses!

CCIE #49337, author of CCNA and Beyond, BGP for Cisco Networks, MPLS for Cisco Networks, VPNs and NAT for Cisco Networks.

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »

13 comments

comments
giuseppe amendolara
11 July 2015 at 00:31 delete

hello stuart !
congratulations from your italian friend !!!!
i bend over ! you are the ccie !

Reply
avatar
Giuseppe Amendolara
11 July 2015 at 00:39 delete

Now it is time you party with people you love !
for me it is time to buy your third book ^_^

ciao giuseppe

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
11 July 2015 at 01:28 delete

Hello, Good job Stuart, Congratulation.

Reply
avatar
11 July 2015 at 01:52 delete

lovely stuff, congrats Stuart! Keep the blog up, love it

Reply
avatar
11 July 2015 at 06:04 delete

Congratulations! Very cool! Now it's time for vacation :-)

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
11 July 2015 at 12:12 delete

Hi Stuart. I'd like to ask for your personal opinion about the CCIE exam. Do you think that speed is **AS** important as knowledge to pass?

Reply
avatar
11 July 2015 at 12:45 delete

This is actually a tougher question than it would appear, I started to write a long answerm but really could not stand on either side of the fence.

I'll have to come back to you on this one.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
11 July 2015 at 14:19 delete

No problem. I believe that time constrains are a huge factor in passing. On the other hand, I don't see the actual technical level as high as one would expect from a CCIE exam. Lots of CCNP/CCNA level tasks if you ask me. This is what I find frustrating. Or maybe I think I know enough to pass but I'm completely wrong :-)

Reply
avatar
11 July 2015 at 14:28 delete

Congrats from Brazil! All the best! : )

Reply
avatar
14 July 2015 at 15:01 delete

incredible - first time but you put in the effort and time to nail it and nail it you did - congratulations - RB

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
12 August 2015 at 13:56 delete

you pass it on your first attempt? congrats and its rare

Reply
avatar