Which CCIE next: SP or Security?


Now I have a choice to make: Which CCIE track do I do next? I could just sit back and rest for a bit, but I think the CCIE is a bit like getting a tattoo, it's a bit addictive, also I will need to recertify within 2 years, so I need to do another one.

I passed my final CCNP on July 10th 2013, and passed my CCIE R&S on July 10th 2015. I have only just seen this, but it certainly was not intentional that I chose the lab date I did. So, we can figure that the next CCIE will take up to two years to complete. Hopefully it won't take that long, but 2 years should be ample time. At any rate, it pretty much means that I cannot afford to sit back for too long.

So far all of my certifications have been in the Routing and Switching domain, I started with CCNA, the did CCNP, and finally reached my goal of CCIE. But what track should I do next?

It will either be Security, or Service Provider. I don't have much interest in, or need for, Wireless, Voice or Collaboration. Data Center would be very useful, but getting regular access to the necessary hardware (for me) is not easy. I certainly cannot afford the $1m (list price) for the equipment either. So this leaves SP and Security. 

Which CCIE to do next?

I am not going to start again from the CCNA for these, thankfully there are no prerequisites, so I can jump straight to the CCIE level. I think I can do this.

But which to choose?

CCIE Service Provider

Pros: The Service Provider track seems like a logical step on from the Routing and Switching. It centers heavily around BGP and MPLS, with either OSPF or ISIS as the IGP. I think I am pretty strong on these topics already, so it feels like a very logical continuation from Routing and Switching.

All of the SP topology can be run pretty easily within UNL (UNetLab), as it is 4 XRv routers and 10 CSR1000v routers, within a 32GB server. I could follow the INE workbooks with no problem.

Cons: SP track is not entirely relevant to my role, barring things like QinQ, whereas the Security track is.

CCIE Security

Pros: I spend most of my working day in our ASA firewalls, so it would make sense to do this track next. It will help me in my job more than the SP track.

Whilst it can all run within UNetLab, I will probably need more memory. This is not a show stopper, but I might have to repurpose my existing ESXi server, and build a new, more powerful one.

Cons: It does not look like so much of a quick win as the SP does. I think I could do the SP quicker than the Security.

Both are equally attractive subjects, so I really don't know what way to lean. Do I choose what seems (at the moment) to be the quicker option, or do the longer one which is more relevant to my current role?

So, kind people... what do you think I should do? Comment below (with reasons). I might even throw in a prize as I am in a good mood!

CCIE #49337, author of CCNA and Beyond, BGP for Cisco Networks, MPLS for Cisco Networks, VPNs and NAT for Cisco Networks.

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »

8 comments

comments
12 July 2015 at 07:05 delete

If I would have to make exactly that decision, I guess I'd go with the track which I can use more, so in your case Security. Personally I'd prefer the SP track much more (I don't even like ASAs *g*), but in my opinion you get the most out of it only if you can use it on a regular basis, which in your case seems to be Security.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
12 July 2015 at 23:24 delete

I'd suggest Security. It helps in your daily job, its more marketable, and probably worth more.

on a side note, could you list the alias's you found to be most helpful for R/S lab?

Reply
avatar
13 July 2015 at 01:26 delete

I never got to use them, and it was an approach I tried to adopt late into the process, but I did write them all into notepad at the beginning, ready to use them. I guess nerves got the better of me! Here are the ones that I listed though:

alias exec shint show ip int bri | e unas
alias configure shint show ip int bri | e unas
alias exec shro sh ip route ospf
alias configure shro ah ip route ospf
alias exec shre sh ip route eigrp
alias configure shre sh ip route eigrp
alias exec shrb sh ip route bgp
alias configure shrb sh ip route bgp

No matter where you are you can then use the same command - if you are in an interface or router level config, then use "do shrb" etc...

Hope you find these useful. It would have saved me a bit of time here and there if I had used them!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
13 July 2015 at 12:07 delete

Sounds like Security is the way to go.

Reply
avatar
15 July 2015 at 01:55 delete

So? Any news already? If not, take your time, important decision! :-)

Reply
avatar
15 July 2015 at 02:50 delete

I have made a decision! http://www.802101.com/2015/07/ccie-security-it-is-then.html

Reply
avatar
5 June 2016 at 11:33 delete

I spent 3 months working on CCIE SP only to realize all it does for me is land me on sales calls lol. Just decided to switch to Security a couple days ago lol.

Reply
avatar
5 June 2016 at 12:42 delete

Welcome aboard Jon! It's been a good decision so far. Once I crack ISE I think it will get easier (I hope).

Reply
avatar